Diabetes Diet for Weight Loss
Losing a few pounds through diabetes diet for weight loss and exercise can go a long way in controlling diabetes. This reduces your risk for other health problems and you will also have more energy and feel better in general.
When you have diabetes, being overweight or obese increases your risk for complications.
The good news is that diabetes can be managed easily through making dietary and lifestyle changes.
In order to do this, you need to track what you eat for a period of time such as a week. Record everything that you eat and drink, then from this feedback make the necessary changes in your eating habits.
Guidelines of diabetes diet for weight loss:
· Follow the golden rule of small frequent meals coupled with drinking a lot of water
· Reduce your portions
· Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
· Foods, snacks and desserts that are high in calories should be kept to a minimum
· If you feel hungry, fill up with salads, raw vegetables, soups and fruits
· Consume whole grains foods as opposed to those made with processed flours.
· Go for lean protein foods such as lean pork, beef and skinless chicken and turkey
· Opt for frozen or fresh fruit as it does not contain extra sugars
· Limit your intake of dairy products. If possible, replace cow milk with healthier alternatives such as almond milk.
· Replace unhealthy fats with plant oils from avocados, nuts, seeds and olives.
The truth is, what you eat largely impacts your weight. Therefore, one should be careful to select nutritious foods and to control portion sizes.
In short, diabetics need to maintain a healthy weight by consuming a diabetes diet for weight loss that is low in sugar, fat, salt but rich in a variety of vegetables and fruits.